Thank you for your interest in joining IATSE Local 488! We are part of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), and Local 488 represents Studio Mechanics of the Pacific Northwest working in over 20 crafts for Film, TV, and Commercials, as well as crew working in some specific Theatrical Units.
To obtain membership in one of the Crafts represented by Local 488, an applicant must prove 18 months residency in our geographical jurisdiction, which includes Washington, Oregon, Northern Idaho and Montana. In addition, you must have thirty (30) paid work days in your Craft completed within the 12 months prior to application. Work must be done in the same Craft under which you will be applying for Membership. The 30 days do not have to be on a union job and can be on feature films, television shows, commercials, documentaries, corporate videos, music videos, or professional theatre.
Total amount due upon acceptance in Local 488 is currently $778.00. Local 488’s initiation cost is $600.00 of that amount, $100.00 is for the processing fee charged by the International, and the remaining $78.00 is for your first quarterly membership stamp for Local 488.
In addition to the quarterly stamps, all work done under an IA contract in our jurisdiction is charged 3% of gross wages as work dues.
The entire process for joining can take 6-8 weeks. Once you submit the form using the link below, we will vet your documents and respond within 2 weeks if we need more information or if it was accepted. Next, we'll mail you a formal paper application from International IATSE with a letter detailing membership, fees, and next steps. You'll mail that application with your payment to our Portland office. Once that is complete, we send the paper application on to International and wait the 3-4 weeks they can take to process it. We will help you through the whole process!
If you meet the requirements listed above please fill out the form at this link (PDFs are preferred):
- Proof of Residency: Documents which prove residency in our region for at least 18 months which may include a scanned copy of your driver’s license or a rental/mortgage contract or voter registration card.
- Verifiable Resume: A current, verifiable resume of industry experience (please note job classification, as well as the date of projects). Resume must include current mailing address, email, and phone number
- Proof of 30 Days Experience: Include the following documentation proofs of qualification in your Craft (job classification):
- Proof of 30 days worked in your craft and classification within the last twelve (12) months.
- Please sort documents by the date and corresponding job.
- Please label all documents as to how many days worked each document represents.
- Please save each document with your name in the title, last name first: i.e. Doe_John_Call1_2Days or Doe_Jane_Stub1_5Days
- Qualifying documents include:
- Copies of pay-stubs &/or paid invoices with dates
- Please note on each document how many days worked the document represents
- Pay stubs or call sheets must list you in the Craft for which you are making application (i.e. Key Grip, Grip, or Dolly Grip, etc.)
- Copies of crew lists and/or Deal Memos may be submitted as evidence to clarify other documentation (for example: you have a pay stub but it doesn't list the position in which you worked. Submit a crew list or deal memo that does list your position)
Initially, upon acceptance, you may only be listed under one Craft. After successful application you may submit other proof of 30 days worked within the last year to be listed on our Roster for other Craft positions.
The work documented must be done within the covered Craft category/Job Classification you are listing on your application (i.e. Propmaker; Set Dresser; etc).
We only need letters of reference from prior employers, superiors, or peers IF you are missing documentation of all 30 days worked; or the documentation you have does not have the number of days listed for which you were paid; or if the paycheck/call sheet incorrectly lists you in the wrong Craft position.
Again, if all requirements listed above are met, we’ll mail the IATSE application form to you with a letter explaining how to proceed. If more information is needed, you will be contacted. Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.
Membership Committee Chairperson
IATSE Local 488: Studio Mechanics of the Pacific Northwest